[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Thu Mar 22 16:37:39 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 04:32 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> [...]
>> with this solution, even if -nodefconfig disable the files on
>> /usr/share.
>>

>>> Doing this would make it impossible to deploy fixes to users if we evern
>>> find out that the default configuration file had a serious bug. What if
>>> a bug in our default configuration file has a serious security
>>> implication?
>>
>> The answer to this is: if the broken templates/defaults are on
>> /usr/share, it would be easy to deploy the fix.
>>
>> So, the compromise solution is:
>>
>> - We can move some configuration data (especially defaults/templates)
>>    to /usr/share (machine-types and CPU models could go there). This
>>    way we can easily deploy fixes to the defaults, if necessary.
>> - To reuse Qemu models, or machine-types, and not define everything from
>>    scratch, libvirt will have to use something like:
>>    "-nodefconfig -readconfig /usr/share/qemu/cpu-models-x86.conf"
>>
> cpu-models-x86.conf is not a configuration file. It is hardware
> description file. QEMU should not lose capability just because you run
> it with -nodefconfig. -nodefconfig means that QEMU does not create
> machine for you, but all parts needed to create a machine that would have
> been created without -nodefconfig are still present. Not been able to
> create Nehalem CPU after specifying -nodefconfig is the same as not been
> able to create virtio-net i.e the bug.
>

>> (the item below is not something discussed on the call, just something I
>> want to add)
>>
>> To make this work better, we can allow users (humans or machines) to
>> "extend" CPU models on the config file, instead of having to define
>> everything from scratch. So, on /etc (or on a libvirt-generated config)
>> we could have something like:
>>
>> =============
>> [cpu]
>> base_cpudef = Nehalem
>> add_features = "vmx"
>> =============
>>
>> Then, as long as /usr/share/cpu-models-x86.conf is loaded, the user will
>> be able to reuse the Nehalem CPU model provided by Qemu.
>>
> And if it will not be loaded?

>>> It shouldn't. Machine-types are defaults to be used as base, they are
>>> not user-provided configuration. And the fact that we decided to store
>>> some data outside of the Qemu binary is orthogonal the design decisions
>>> in the Qemu command-line and configuration interface.
>>
>> So, this problem is solved if the defaults are easily found on
>> /usr/share.
>>
> What problem is solved and why are we mixing machine configuration files
> and cpu configuration files? They are different and should be treated
> differently. -nodefconfig exists only because there is not machine
> configuration files currently. With machine configuration files
> libvirt does not need -nodefconfig because it can create its own machine
> file and make QEMU use it. So specifying machine file on QEMU's command
> line implies -nodefconfig. The option itself loses its meaning and can be

No, -nodefconfig means "no default config".

As with many projects, we can have *some* configuration required.

The default configure should have a:

[system]
readconfig=@SYSCONFDIR@/cpu-models-x86_64.cfg

Stanza by default.  If libvirt wants to reuse this, they can use -readconfig if
they use -nodefconfig.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori