[libvirt] dhcp6, radvd, ip6tables, etc. (update)

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Nov 1 01:42:25 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 05:35 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

> About being compatible with old code.  I see the dhcp6 patches and
> this potential patch as being based on v1.0.0 and not being
> back-ported.  So I am not sure I see a potential conflict.

Being able to backport patches to older libvirt releases is not the
issue we are concerned about - that is actually usually not an important
consideration. What *is* important is the ability to build and run the
new libvirt releases on older platforms. For example, if the upstream
release containing your patches were built on CentOS6.3 or RHEL6.3, the
dhcp6 functionality wouldn't be available, because those distros are
stuck at dnsmasq-2.48. That's okay as long as all the pre-existing
functionality still works properly on those distros. Eliminating radvd
in favor of using dnsmasq for ipv6 ra and autoconf would *not* be
acceptable, though, because if the release containing that patch were
built on RHEL6/CentOS6, it would mean a regression in behavior, since
IPv6 autoconf/ra would cease to work.