[libvirt] Is possible that cpu_maps.xml changed during different releases?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 15:22:33 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 02:20 AM, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:
> Hi, all

[your mailer doesn't know how to wrap long lines, which makes it awkward
to read your message]

> 	I have two questions to the cpu_maps.xml in different releases, hope someone can give me some hints:
>
> 	a) Will it be possible that the features defined in cpu_maps.xml for one specific CPU model (like Nehalem) will be different? For example, one feature is not listed for Nehalem in release x.y, and added in release x.y+1?

XML does have the possibility to change between releases, but such
changes will only be additive (we will never remove support for a
feature once it is listed).

> 	2) Is the format of the cpu_maps.xml fine defined or will be it changed during releases? I asked this because currently the features defined in the capabilities only list features not included in the definition in cpu_maps.xml for the corresponding model. So if I want to get the full features supported by the host, I have to parse the capabilities and the cpu_maps.xml. I didn't find the definition for cpu_maps.xml format, although the capabilities format is well defined in http://libvirt.org/guide/html/Application_Development_Guide-Connections-Capability_Info.html.

The format should be well-defined; again, our requirement is that
upgrades might add new xml attributes or elements, but will never remove
elements that have been valid in previous releases.  To some extent,
docs/schemas/capability.rng in libvirt.git gives an RNG grammar for what
capabilities will look like, although someone else may be able to point
to a better documentation of what will be in cpu_maps.xml.