[libvirt] Any plans to extend openvswitch configuration in libvirt?

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Nov 27 19:28:09 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 10:03 AM, james robson wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Are there any current plans to extend the openvswitch port configuration
> options to include the 'native-tagged' and 'native-untagged' vlan modes?
> I'm currently setting up a test lab that is going to require the
> 'native-untagged' vlan mode on openvswitch and would prefer to keep
> these setting with the other network configuration for my virtual
> machines.
>
> I can produce a patch for this functionality myself, but don't want to
> duplicate effort if someone else is all ready working on it.

Nobody is working on it that I know of, and patches would certainly be
welcome! I assume that configuration would simply be some extra
element/attribute that goes inside of the <vlan> element?

If you do make a patch, note that the <vlan> that ends up getting used
for the interface could come from either the <network> vlan element, the
vlan element of a <portgroup> within the network, or the vlan within the
guest's own vlan element (I've listed those in reverse order of
priority). As long as you properly update virNetDevVlanCopy to copy the
new data, that should take care of itself. (Also don't forget to update
the other utility functions in virnetdevvlan.c)

(Another nice patch would be one to make libvirt's "managed" networks
recognize the presence of <virtualport type='openvswitch'/> and
create/use an Open vSwitch bridge instead of the standard Linux host
bridge. It shouldn't be difficult, but nobody has gotten around to it.)