[libvirt] Connection using Java

Felipe Oliveira Gutierrez lipe.82 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:57:03 UTC 2012

Hi Eric, thanks for reply

My netcat version is v1.10-38 and I am using Debian on 192.XXX.XXX.XX

# nc -h
[v1.10-38]
connect to somewhere:    nc [-options] hostname port[s] [ports] ...
listen for inbound:    nc -l -p port [-options] [hostname] [port]

I use Ubuntu to access the Debian machine, and now my Java class is like
this:

        Connect conn = null;
        try {
            conn = new
Connect("xen+ssh://root@192.168.XXX.XX/?netcat=/bin/netcat",
true);

but is still throwing the error:
libvir: RPC error : End of file while reading data: /bin/netcat: invalid
option -- 'U'
nc -h for help: Input/output error
exception caught:org.libvirt.LibvirtException: End of file while reading
data: /bin/netcat: invalid option -- 'U'

I have files on the client machine that are /usr/bin/ncat , /bin/netcat and
/etc/alternatives/netcat. I am not sure which I should use.

Thanks, Felipe

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/02/2012 09:10 AM, Felipe Oliveira Gutierrez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using java to connect to the xen, but my class is throwing a
> > exception. Does anyone know what is happening?
> >
> > public class TestConnection {
> >     public static void main(String[] args) {
> >         Connect conn = null;
> >         try {
> >             conn = new Connect("xen+ssh://root@192.XXX.XXX.XX/", true);
> >
> > libvir: RPC error : End of file while reading data: nc: invalid option --
> > 'U'
>
> What distro is running the machine at 192.XXX.XXX.XX, and what version
> of nc is it using (remembering that Fedora and Debian nc come from
> different heritages)?  What does 'nc --help' output on that machine?
>
> It may be possible to connect by installing an updated nc on that
> machine, and/or altering your xen+ssh://... URI to include a ?netcat=...
> parameter that points to an alternate location on that server that
> understands -U.
>
> http://libvirt.org/remote.html#Remote_URI_parameters
>
> --
> Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-919-301-3266