[libvirt] Core dump caused by misusing openssl in multithread scenario!

Benjamin Wang (gendwang) gendwang at cisco.com
Mon Oct 8 14:09:54 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Bolte [mailto:matthias.bolte at googlemail.com]
Sent: 2012年10月7日 2:14
To: Benjamin Wang (gendwang)
Cc: Daniel P. Berrange; libvir-list at redhat.com; Yang Zhou (yangzho)
Subject: Re: [libvirt] Core dump caused by misusing openssl in multithread scenario!

2012/10/2 Benjamin Wang (gendwang) <gendwang at cisco.com>:
> Hi Daniel,
>    Is this problem fixed in the latest version? What about the question 2 which related to openssl callbacks in multi-thread?

As Daniel said, we cannot assume that libcurl was build with OpenSSL backend. We would need some way to detect this first.
[Benjamin]: I agree. But if libcurl want to access ESXi by https. OpenSSL will be used. And libvirt must call CRYPTO_set_id_callback/CRYPTO_set_locking_callback
to support multi-threads

Also, wasn't there a license problem with OpenSSL and the (L)GPL? Can libvirt legally be used with a libcurl that is linked with OpenSSL?
[Benjamin]: I think there is no open source license issue. We will not change libcurl or openssl source code. What we needed is to call openssl API(CRYPTO_set_id_callback/CRYPTO_set_locking_callback)
to support multi-threads.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com