[libvirt] Core dump caused by misusing openssl in multithread scenario!

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 14:22:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 08:14:09PM +0200, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> 2012/10/2 Benjamin Wang (gendwang) <gendwang at cisco.com>:
> > Hi Daniel,
> >    Is this problem fixed in the latest version? What about the question 2 which related to openssl callbacks in multi-thread?
>
> As Daniel said, we cannot assume that libcurl was build with OpenSSL
> backend. We would need some way to detect this first.
>
> Also, wasn't there a license problem with OpenSSL and the (L)GPL? Can
> libvirt legally be used with a libcurl that is linked with OpenSSL?

The OpenSSL vs GPL license compatibility is a subject of much debate
amongst lawyers, so the answer you get depends on who you ask. IANAL,
but my personal reading is that the OpenSSL license is *not* compatible
with the (L)GPL. Thus as a libvirt copyright holder my position is that
libvirt must only be used with a libcurl that links to either NSS or
GNUTLS, and *not* OpenSSL.