[libvirt] Memory free in libvirt JNA

Benjamin Wang (gendwang) gendwang at cisco.com
Fri Oct 12 02:05:08 UTC 2012

Hi Claudio,
   Thanks for you informing about new JNA version. I try to use JNA provided API. It works well. The updated code is as following:

     public SchedParameter[] getSchedulerParameters() throws LibvirtException {
         IntByReference nParams = new IntByReference();
         SchedParameter[] returnValue = new SchedParameter[0];
-        String scheduler = libvirt.virDomainGetSchedulerType(VDP, nParams);
+        Pointer pScheduler = libvirt.virDomainGetSchedulerType(VDP,
+ nParams);
         processError();
-        if (scheduler != null) {
+        if (pScheduler != null) {
+            String scheduler = pScheduler.getString(0);
+            Native.free(Pointer.nativeValue(pScheduler));
             virSchedParameter[] nativeParams = new virSchedParameter[nParams.getValue()];
             returnValue = new SchedParameter[nParams.getValue()];
             libvirt.virDomainGetSchedulerParameters(VDP, nativeParams, nParams);

If there is no issue. I recommend to use this solution to enhance all JNA code.

BTW:
Not all the returned String should be freed by JNA. For example,  In Domain Class, the result returned by the method getName/ getUUIDString
can't be freed. Because the reference were not allocated temporarily. We must analyze case by case.

B.R.
Benjamin Wang