[libvirt] Compile libvirt on Solaris

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 08:33:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 03:22:12PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:26:55AM +0000, Yang Zhou (yangzho) wrote:
> > Hi Experts,
> >
> > I am compiling libvirt 0.9.9 on Solaris 9. But got following errors when run "./configure --with-esx --with-qemu"
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > checking for library containing dlopen... -ldl
> > checking for xen_vm_start in -lxenserver... no
> > checking for libxl_domain_create_new in -lxenlight... no
> > checking for xs_read in -lxenstore... no
> > checking linux/kvm.h usability... no
> > checking linux/kvm.h presence... no
> > checking for linux/kvm.h... no
> > checking for shell that supports <> redirection... /bin/sh
> > checking linux/param.h usability... no
> > checking linux/param.h presence... no
> > checking for linux/param.h... no
> > configure: error: You must install kernel-headers in order to compile libvirt with QEMU or LXC support
> > bash-2.05$
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > After look at configure, it's found the headers of linux/param.h,
> > linux/sockios.h. linux/if_bridge.h and linux/if_tun.h are
> > required. Obviously these files are missing on Solaris platform. Anybody
> > can help how to solve this issue?
>
>   I'm not sure we still have an active maintainer on Solaris, John Levon
> didn't posted here for ages ...

Even then, he only attempted to have the legacy Xen driver work on
Solaris, never the QEMU driver.

So basically if someone wants the QEMU driver to work on Solaris, they'll
need to go through and figure out all the non-portable bits and send us
patches to fix them.

IIRC, this particular kernel-headers message is because we need to be
able to create & pass TAP devices, and configure bridge devices. This
will need to be ported to Solaris' interfaces since this stuff is
non-portable