[libvirt] need help/clarification about git and patches.

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Sep 6 17:26:28 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 11:59 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> Using git is more than a little different way of doing business for
> me.  My usual way to create and apply a patch is to rebuild a
> src.rpm.  This way I have a lot less changes of screwing something up
> because of ignorance.

My experience is the opposite - I usually end up screwing something up
if I try to mess with a src.rpm :-)

> It it a little while but I finally cloned a copy of libvirt.git.  I
> applied a patch to remove the "--filterwin2k" [one fixup because a
> test file changed slightly.  I then ran "git diff" and produce a new
> patch.
>
> OK, now what?  I did the "git commit" and then tried to do the "git
> send-email" like it says in your "hacking" document ...
>    "git: 'send-email' is not a git command.

On Fedora and RHEL (I'm not sure about other platforms) git's
"send-email" subcommand is in a sub-package of git called "git-email".
See if your distro's package system can install a package with that name.

> I am going to do what I believe is the right thing to do and submit
> the patch but there needs to be a bit more info as to how we should do
> things.

A note pointing out that the git-email package also needs to be
installed is a good idea. I've just sent a patch to libvir-list that
adds that (and while I was touching the file, made it more insistent
that people run "make check" and "make syntax-check" :-))