[libvirt] Google Summer of Code 2013 ideas wiki open

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 08:58:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:34:18AM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 10.04.2013 15:13, harryxiyou wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've also got some ideas like following for GSOC 2013.
> >
> > Storage driver jobs.
> >
> > Currently, there is no Libvirt storage API to rename storage volume,
> > storage pool, snapshot, etc. There is also no Libvirt API to move
> > volume from one pool to another using libvirt API. Possibly those
> > pools could have different backend (lvm, dir, ...). So i wanna finish
> > these jobs for Libvirt during GSOC 2013. See following in details.
> >

> > 1, Rename storage volume. I will develop ' virsh vol-rename xxx'
> > option for virsh tool.
> >
> > 2, Rename storage pool. I will develop 'virsh pool-rename xxx'
> > option for virsh tool.
> >
> > 3, Rename snapshot. I will develop 'virsh snapshot-rename xxx'
> > option for virsh tool.
>
> I am not sure we want *rename virsh commands. Not only for storage, but
> in general. And even if we do want these, they don't require a new API.
> They can be implemented with simple vir*GetXML(); vir*Define();
> vir*Undefine();

Actually I disagree - I think you want explicit APIs for renames, so that
it can be done atomically / with minimal risk of failure halfway.

> > 4, Move volume from one pool to another. I will develop 'virsh vol-move xxx'
> > option for virsh tool.
>
> This one makes more sense, however I am worried about difficulty a bit.
> A GSoC project should take 3 months for a student to complete. This is
> something that even unexperienced user can accomplish in less than a month.

Isn't all the libvirt functionality for this already existing? it it
is basically just  virStorageVolCreateFrom(...original vol) and then
delete the original volume.