[libvirt] Entering freeze for libvirt-1.1.2

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Fri Aug 30 06:12:06 UTC 2013

Hi Eric,
On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:13:02AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
[..snip..]
> Also, I will point out that at least on my FreeBSD VM setup, rpcgen
> generates code that triggers a gcc aliasing warning, and thus fails
> during development (where -Werror is default) but where the tarball is
> marginally okay (because there -Werror is off so the warning just
> scrolls by).  We really ought to figure out why different flavors of
> rpcgen are generating these problems, and whether we can enhance our
> src/rpc/genprotocol.pl to paper over the problems, or even decide to
> write the RPC code generation ourselves rather than relying on rpcgen.
> But I don't know that it will get done in time for 1.1.2; it is more of
> a long-standing "always been that way", and not a regression new to this
> release.

There's a similar problem on kFreeBSD (which uses glibc) where the
rpcgen code uses different but compatible types:

	https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-May/msg02057.html

Since I haven't got around to look into this in more detail since May I
doubt I'll get around to this anytime soon but in case somebody picks
this up I'd be happy to test patches on kFreeBSD.
Cheers,
 -- Guido