[libvirt] RFC: Splitting python binding out into a separate repo & ading to PyPi

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Aug 30 07:39:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 03:27:42PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:24:41PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > As everyone knows, we have historically always shipped the python binding
> > as part of the libvirt primary tar.gz distribution. In some ways that has
> > simplified life for people, since we know they'll always have a libvirt
> > python that matches their libvirt C library.
> >
> > At the same time though, this policy of ours is causing increasing amounts
> > of pain for a number of our downstream users.

  BTW on a related issue, the bindings generation is very much
similar from the one from libxml2, and I ported the libxml2 one
to work with python3, they are alike a dozen set of patches in
libxml2 git in GNOME from thsi spring and it may be a bit easier to
carry the conversion before doing the split.
The patches obviously won't apply as is as the generators have
diverged somehow since the creation of libvirt but I think there
is enough commonality that it is worth trying to do this before
the change.
  I had plan to do the porting myself but I have a crazy workload
those days and unless taking forced vacations for it it may be a
bit hard for me to do this before the 1.1.3 release if we want to
do the split by then <grin/>

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/