[libvirt] [Libvirt]Snapshot operations in Libvirt

harryxiyou harryxiyou at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:02:03 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I see our libvirt snapshot XML form like following, which this
XML is to create a disk snapshot of just vda on a qemu domain
with two disks.

<domainsnapshot>
  <description>Snapshot of OS install and updates</description>
  <disks>
    <disk name='/path/to/old'>
      <source file='/path/to/new'/>
    </disk>
    <disk name='vdb' snapshot='no'/>
  </disks>
</domainsnapshot>

My understanding about up XML is like this: it creates a snapshot
for '/path/to/old', which '/path/to/old' would be the read-only backing
file to the new active file '/path/to/new'. I also have some questions
about current libvirt snapshot operations like following.

1, Is my up understanding right? Or maybe you have any other suggestions.

2, I wonder whether libvirt *NOW* support start a snapshot and then
mount this new storage block, which is based on the snapshot.
Please give me some real examples (like Sheepdog volumes) if you
can.

--
Thanks
Harry Wei