[libvirt] VG backed storage pool start behavior.

Luke Varnadore luke.varnadore at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:11:17 UTC 2013

Libvirt 1.0.2-3

I am unable to use vg storage pools that are shared with the host. I was
able to do this without issue an update before this one. Wondering if
anyone else is seeing this behavior.

I am on an Arch Linux system but I can't see why that would matter yet.

Here is the error I get when trying to start a pool defined from the shared
VG that my host, and guests share:

Error starting pool 'vg_nimbus': internal error Child process
(/sbin/vgchange -aln vg_nimbus) unexpected exit status 5:   Can't
deactivate volume group "vg_nimbus" with 7 open logical volume(s)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 96, in
cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 117, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/storagepool.py", line 64, in
start
    self.pool.create(0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 2360, in create
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virStoragePoolCreate() failed',
pool=self)
libvirtError: internal error Child process (/sbin/vgchange -aln vg_nimbus)
unexpected exit status 5:   Can't deactivate volume group "vg_nimbus" with
7 open logical volume(s)

I can still carry on using lvs manually (without storage pools) to run my
guests and host lvs.

--
Luke W Varnadore