[libvirt] Versioning/Compatibility in the XML schemas

Pieter Hollants pieter at hollants.com
Mon Feb 25 12:13:37 UTC 2013

Out of curiosity, seeing that we doing modifications to the XML schema
all the time, there does not seem to be some sort of version identifier
in the XML schemas.

If I take the recently merged patch for DHCP options, for instance,
suppose virt-manager would add support for it in its GUI. How would such
a network XML definition be interpreted by older libvirt versions? Is it
supposed to ignore elements it doesn't know or do we have an implicit
requirement of "always use the latest versions together"?

--
Pieter Hollants <pieter at hollants.com>