[libvirt] Notes on configuring Open vSwitch, Linux bridge and Libvirt

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 14:44:12 UTC 2013

[...]

>> it appears that OpenStack uses Linux bridge in conjunction with an OVS bridge:
>>
>>     There are four distinct type of virtual networking devices: TAP
>>     devices, veth pairs, Linux bridges, and Open vSwitch bridgesFor an
>>     ethernet frame to travel from eth0 of virtual machine vm01, to the
>>     physical network, it must pass through nine devices inside of the
>>     host: TAP vnet0, Linux bridge qbrXXX, veth pair (qcbXXX, qvoXXX),
>>     Open vSwitch bridge br-int, veth pair (int-br-eth1, phy-br-eth1),
>>     and, finally, the physical network interface card eth1.
>
> That depends on how you configure openstack to operate. The reason openstack
> links ovs to a bridge, is that you can't setup iptables rules with ovs.

This is useful insight, didn't know about it.

> So
> for each guest, openstack creates a separate bridge + veth pair, and then
> sets iptables rules on that. This is pretty undesirable from a performance
> POV due to the number of devices the traffic must traverse :-(
> So I wouldn't
> take openstack's usage as an example of good practice here.

Noted. I see your recommendation: from Libvirt guests POV, OVS bridge connected to
physical eth0 is the least over-head .

I was wondering does an OVS bridge perform any better than Linux bridge. I had a brief
chat with Thomas Graf, he mentions, w.r.t performance, from some numbers they did, ovs
/slightly/ did better. However, he hasn't seen any numbers that would indicate that ovs is
better in performance but i haven't seen anything the other way around either.

--
/kashyap