[libvirt] Serial port creation issue

Hi,
I have a serial port defined in vm config file. However after I create the vm using virsh, I notice that the serial ports I have specified translate to -chardev when kvm-quemu is called. I am having trouble accessing the vm if it is configured as a chardev with isserial option. If i can directly call the qemu with -serial, I can access the vm,
thanks
arvind