[libvirt] configuring a disconnected <interface>

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 09:31:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 02:42:31PM +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Like most of us, I've bought my actual computer with an Ethernet
> interface card, that I can connect to a wall jack at will. It's quite
> easy to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the wall, as well.
>
> I would like to expose this behavior to virtual computers, too. Via
> libvirt, of course. That's useful, since an admin may need to disconnect
> a running VM from a network temporarily, without resorting to
> hot-unplugging its nic.

In the bug you filed requested this feature, you said that you want
this so that you can make oVirt configure bridging behind libvirts
back with Quantum. As explained in the bug, this is a really bad way
todo this & should not be required - OpenStack Nova demonstrates you
can do the right thing wrt Quantum using exisiting libvirt config.
So I'm not inclined to support this disconnected mode.