[libvirt] Libvirt : Bootstrap fails for local gnulib

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Sat Jun 29 18:20:05 UTC 2013

[dropping qemu-devel and virt-tools-list, as this question does not
concern those lists]

On 06/26/2013 03:12 AM, chandrashekar shastri wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The Libvirt compliation fails to bootstarp for local gnulib. We do not
> have outbound access for the test machines.
> So, we ll pull the gnulib from and copy to the test machines.
>
> When we run ./bootstrap --no-git  --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/local, below
> is the error:

Have you tried using ./autogen.sh instead of ./bootstrap?  While
./bootstrap is part of the process for building a git checkout, it is
not the entire process, and we document that you should be using
./autogen.sh.  I don't have much experience with using --no-git, but I'd
like to fix the problem if I can reproduce it.

> ./bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out libvirt sources...
> ./bootstrap: consider installing git-merge-changelog from gnulib
> ./bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
> fatal: Needed a single revision
> Unable to find current revision in submodule path '.gnulib'

The problem may lie in upstream gnulib's bootstrap script; if so, the
problem won't be fixed until our next gnulib submodule update, which
will be after 1.1.0 is released.

> If we run autogen.sh it tries to pull from git though the $GNULIB_SRCDIR
> is exported with the local gnulib.
>
> ./autogen.sh '--no-git'
> I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
> to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
> running bootstrap --no-git...
> ./bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out libvirt sources...
> ./bootstrap: consider installing git-merge-changelog from gnulib
> ./bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
> fatal: Unable to look up git.sv.gnu.org (port 9418) (Name or service not
> known)
> Unable to fetch in submodule path '.gnulib'
> Failed to bootstrap, please investigate.
>
> Please provide us the workaround for the same.

As for a workaround - if you don't have git access on your devel
machine, then I suggest that you get another machine that DOES have git
access, and use that machine to get sources and build tarballs, then
copy tarballs to the machine where you are trying to run tests.  That
is, your setup of trying to develop code on a machine that can't access
outside a firewall is unusual, so it may require more effort on your
part to get working.  Also, how strict is your firewall?  Is it a case
where you can access upstream via http:// but not git://?  If so, it is
possible to modify your ~/.gitconfig to tell git to rewrite git URIs to
pull from locations that are accessible through your firewall; but
again, this may be something where you have to do a bit of research
yourself.