[libvirt] [fedora-virt] Sanlock + libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Sep 9 12:51:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:43:39AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> cc-ing libvir-list
>
> On 09/09/2013 08:20 AM, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   in sanlock docs (https://fedorahosted.org/sanlock/) there is described,
> > how to use it. There is no mention about NFS. Can I use sanlock with LVM
> > (without NFS) with livbirt? It this feature implemented in libvirt for
> > Fedora or RHEL?
> >
> >   For libvirt I need to define lease dir as:
> >     disk_lease_dir = "/var/lib/libvirt/sanlock"
> > but this have to be a directory. How to configure it to use sanlock on LVM?

There are two ways to use sanlock in libvirt.

With the automatic way, libvirt will create leases for each disk in a VM's
config. This requires a shared filesystem of some kind, such as NFS. This
is what all the config parameters in /etc/libvirt/qemu-sanlock.conf are
about.

With the manual way, the application / admin creating the guest XML files
must manually specify leases using the <lease> XML element. This lets you
use any type of storage including LVM or raw block devices.

oVirt/RHEV-M is the only thing I know of that uses the manual approach.

I would not recommend using the manual approach outside of oVirt since it
requires alot of tedious work to get it right. The automatic approach is
what we recomend for everyone else, and that's filesystem based only.