[libvirt] [RFC] The Quest for Domain-IP Mapping Continues...

Nehal J Wani nehaljw.kkd1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:50:03 UTC 2014

If you remember correctly, about 1.2 years ago, we had...
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-September/msg00351.html

In short, the patch proposed a generalized mechanism for finding out
IP addresses, with flags for choosing method(s) (SNOOP|LEASE|AGENT).

But since not all methods were supported (only qemu-ga worked), the
API was deferred.

After exploring a bit, it seems that in all, we can have:
(i) Leases Method
(ii) Qemu Guest Agent
(iiI) DHCP Snooping (exists, but isn't publicly exposed?)
(iv) ARP Snooping (we can ask the virtual network interfaces to share
their arp tables with the public?)

Now that we have the dhcp-leases API fully furnished, why not visit
the qemu-guest-agent again?

OP1. Should we have separate APIs + virsh commands for each one of
these and then combine them together under
virDomainInterfaceAddresses?
- If each one has to be a different API and then combined later, then
what should be the corresponding name for the virsh command for
exposing the querying guest agent API?
OP2. Implement virDomainInterfaceAddresses API with two flags, one for
dhcp-leases and another for qemu-ga and keep adding others whenever
they are completed?

I would prefer OP1. What do you guys think?

--
Nehal J Wani