[libvirt] ANNOUNCE: libguestfs 1.26 released

Jason Helfman jgh at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 9 19:29:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 09:10:19AM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm pleased to announce libguestfs 1.26, a library and set of tools
> > > for accessing and modifying virtual machine disk images.  This release
> > > took more than 6 months of work by a considerable number of people,
> > > and has many new features (see release notes below).
> > >
> > > You can get libguestfs 1.26 here:
> > >
> > > Main website:     http://libguestfs.org/
> > >
> > >       Source:     http://libguestfs.org/download/1.26-stable/
> > >                   You will also need latest supermin from here:
> > >                   http://libguestfs.org/download/supermin/
> > >

> > Hello All,
> >
> > Is there any particular reason that you think this would not run on
> FreeBSD?
> > Any Linux-isms that are just not available on FreeBSD?
>
> There are a few.  However I'm quite happy to accept patches to make it
> work / work better on FreeBSD.
>
> > I noticed this announcement [1] awhile ago, that mentioned febootstrap
> as a
> > requirement,
> > however we don't have this for FreeBSD. However, we do have debootstrap
> > [2]. Debian is listed
> > in the announcement [1], so thought that it could work with debootstrap,
> > but wanted inquire about
> > any gotchas or experiences before diving in and seeing for myself.
> >
> > [1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2011-March/msg00098.html
> > [2] https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap
>
> Unfortunately debootstrap is not going to help.
>
> The package that libguestfs depends on is 'supermin':
>
>   http://libguestfs.org/supermin.1.html
>
> Supermin makes certain assumptions about package managers that may or
> may not apply to FreeBSD ports/packages.  For example:
>
>  - that a package manager (similar to rpm/dpkg/etc) exists
>
>  - that it packages pre-compiled binaries (not sources)
>
>  - that you can list out the files belonging to a package
>
>  - that there are dependency relationships between packages
>
>  - that all files on the filesystem are part of a package (except
>    user-generated files)
>
> There are various ways to make libguestfs work without supermin, see
> the FAQ here:
>

> http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#how-can-i-compile-and-install-libguestfs-without-supermin
>
> although depending on a Fedora-built appliance may not be very
> satisfying.
>
> You could build a fixed FreeBSD-based appliance, but distributing it
> wouldn't be very nice, and getting security updates even less so.
> Supermin solves these kinds of problems.
>
> Rich.
>
> --
> Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat
> http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> Read my programming and virtualization blog: http://rwmj.wordpress.com
> Fedora Windows cross-compiler. Compile Windows programs, test, and
> build Windows installers. Over 100 libraries supported.
> [...]
Is there a way to get it to support 'pkg' the packaging utility for
FreeBSD? It supports
everything you noted above, will full API support.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng/

I'll look at the link you provided. Thanks!

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman          | FreeBSD Committer
jgh at FreeBSD.org     | http://people.freebsd.org/~jgh  | The Power to Serve