Re: [libvirt] Question about building libvirt.so

On 02/24/2014 05:09 PM, vikhyath reddy wrote:

[Please don't top-post on technical lists]

> Thanks for the replies guys, libvirt-glib sure sounds interesting. On the
> other hand I was able to leave libvirt.so alone and write my own wrapper
> (based on libvirt/examples) for easy calls from NodeJS. I can get to list
> VMs, their config etc. from node but not able to list the operating system
> running on the VM (ubuntu, win7, etc.). I can get the os_type though (hvm
> in my case) but that does not tell me whether it is running a windows or a
> linux distro.

Libvirt can't tell you what the guest is running.  For that, you need
higher-level software, such as libguestfs.  virt-manager is an example
of a program that uses libguestfs to probe which OS is running in the guest.