Re: [libvirt] Libvirt Java Bindings - adding domain event support - pull request

On 02/26/2014 08:47 PM, Chris Ellis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm new to this list, I've been making use of the Libvirt Java bindings
> recently.  I wanted to make use of domain events yesterday
> so my application can be alerted when the state of a domain changes etc.

Sideline observations (I'm not a user of the Java bindings):

> Events can be listened to by, registering via the Connect object, as
> follows:
>
>  con.domainEventRegisterAny(DomainEventID.VIR_DOMAIN_EVENT_ID_LIFECYCLE,
> new DomainLifecycleEventHandler() {

That's a bit verbose.  For example, the C code had to use 'RegisterAny'
because it already had an older 'Register', and C doesn't allow
overloads.  But in Java, there is no loss of information if you just do:

con.domainEventRegister(DomainEventID.LIFECYCLE,
    new DomainLifecycleEventHandler() {...})

Or even be more object oriented, and have 15 overloads, one for each
type of handler class, so that the caller can merely do:

con.domainEventRegister(new DomainLifecycleEventHandler() {...})

and it becomes obvious based on the type of handler that I passed in
which C event id must be used.

> I've put my clone of the libvirt-java git repository on Github, my
> modifications to the Java binding are in a separate branch and
> should be simple to merge.  The changes can be viewed at:
>
>   https://github.com/intrbiz/libvirt-java/compare/master...ce-domain-events

On this list, it's easier to review patches if you use 'git send-email'
to post your series on the list, than it it to make us chase down a
random git repository.