[libvirt] Qemu guest agent to install RPMs in guest VM from host machine

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 13:59:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 04:15:01PM +0530, Puneet Bakshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to install RPM packages (available in host system at some
> path) to the guest VM and want this facility to be available as a tool.
>
> I am thinking of having a gemu guest agent (qemu-ga) running inside guest
> VM. I did not find any available command ("virsh qemu-agent-command
> <guest_vm> ...") which can do the same.
>
> I am planning to implement a command in qemu guest agent, which I can
> invoke from virsh like below.
>
>     "virsh qemu-agent-command vm_01          \
>         '{"execute":"guest-rpm-install",     \
>           "arguments":{"path":"/usr/local/bin/ABC.rpm"}}
>
> I am able to pass arguments from host to guest VM but how am I supposed to
> pass the whole RPM image from host to guest (which the guest agent can
> receive and install)?

The general mindset of the QEMU community is to not turn the QEMU
guest agent into a general systems management tool. It aims to just
restrict itself to the functionality required for core virtualization
management tools. So RPM install is out of scope really

If you want general systems management facilities, such as RPM
installation, then there's countless existing tools for the job
that are preferrable to reinventing the wheel. eg func, puppet,
chef, ansible, and many many more.