[libvirt] Qemu guest agent to install RPMs in guest VM from host machine

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 15:15:16 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 09:02 AM, Puneet Bakshi wrote:

[once again, please don't top-post]

> If I add following channel in guest VM's xml file
>
>     <channel type='unix'>
>       <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/f16x86_64.agent'/>
>       <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
>       <alias name='channel0'/>
>       <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
>     </channel>

Yes, that's how you set up a guest agent.

> Would it be possible to use virtio org.qemu.guest_agent.0 for such
> communication between host and guest? If yes, how can we do it?

Your FIRST task is to submit a patch to the qemu list to add yet another
guest agent command that does what you want.  Merely having the guest
agent does not mean you can do anything, but only that you can do what
has already been coded up in the agent interface.  And looking at
http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=qga/qapi-schema.json I don't
yet see a command that does what you seem to want (guest-file-open will
let you create/open a file in the guest from the host, but nothing yet
lets you create a process in the guest).