[libvirt] broken api.xml file

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 20:46:07 UTC 2014

Nehal discovered by accident that our libvirt-api.xml file is broken,
which in turn leads to broken python bindings.

Right now, if you look at docs/libvirt-api.xml, you'll find:

    <enum name='VIR_IP_ADDR_TYPE_IPV4' file='libvirt' value='1'
type='virIPAddrType'/>

but if you look at the libvirt.h.in file, you see:

typedef enum {
    VIR_IP_ADDR_TYPE_IPV4,
    VIR_IP_ADDR_TYPE_IPV6,

which, by C rules, means that the enum is value 0, not 1.  We need to
fix whatever in libvirt is generating the api.xml file, because that in
turn is leading to incorrect code in the python bindings.

We could, of course, work around the bug by adding explicit
'VIR_IP_ADDR_TYPE_IPV4 = 0,' in our libvirt.h.in file, but I'd rather
fix the root cause.  It's not my area of expertise, so I'd appreciate a
hand in finding the problem spot, although I'm still trying to take a
look.  We'll probably need to backport the patch to stable branches, and
any distro that has picked up broken definitions will want to respin
python bindings.  In a quick audit, I found three impacted enums:
 virDomainCoreDumpFormat (such as VIR_DOMAIN_CORE_DUMP_FORMAT_RAW)
 virDomainEventGraphicsAddressType (such as
VIR_DOMAIN_EVENT_GRAPHICS_ADDRESS_IPV4)
 virIPAddrType (such as VIR_IP_ADDR_TYPE_IPV4)