[libvirt] Python-libvirt in a virtual environment.

Roman Bogorodskiy bogorodskiy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 06:32:25 UTC 2014

  Sijo Jose wrote:

> @Michel
> using virtualenv we can create an isolated environment in the system.
> Just go through - http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/dev/virtualenvs/
> @Eric
> I'm using Ubuntu, and I was able to install and use libvirt using sudo
> apt-get install python-libvirt but its not available in tg2 virtual
> environment.
>
> Moreover if you try to install in the virtualenv using the sudo apt-get
> install python-libvirt, it would say  the package is been already installed.

apt-get operates with system-level packages, so there's no
difference if you run it from virtualenv or not.

I think you have two options:

- Install python-libvirt and create virtualenv with
  --system-site-packages [1] so it pulls system python-libvirt

- Activate virtualenv and install python-libvirt using pip

1: http://virtualenv.readthedocs.org/en/latest/virtualenv.html#the-system-site-packages-option

Roman Bogorodskiy