[libvirt] RFE: Make saveDir/cacheDir/snapshotDir/dumpDir configurable and allow per-domain paths

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 21:49:43 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 01:28 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to separate all data of libvirt domains so that each domain
> can easily be deleted securely. However libvirt by default uses static
> directories to store data from domains such as snapshots, current states
> and dumps. Also a cache dir is used for reasons unknown to me. To
> separate the data, I would like to use different directories for each
> domain. For this these paths need to be configurable e.g. in qemu.conf
> and it needs to be possible to for example specify a placeholder in the
> path that is substituted by the domain's name, so that e.g.:
>
> /srv/{name}/save/
>
> can be specified to use
>
> /srv/dom1/save/dom1.save
>
> as save path.

I'd rather see us add a notion of a preferred pool to each <domain> XML.
 If omitted, libvirt continues to store things where it always has, but
if present, then libvirt carves out any files it needs from that
particular storage pool, and existing virStoragePool* APIs can be used
to track what libvirt has carved out for use with that domain.  I
_don't_ think that qemu.conf is the right place to be tweaking.

> P.S.: I am not subscribed to the list so please CC me.

It's list policy to reply-to-all, for precisely this reason.