[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] spec, RFC: TLS support for NBD

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 11:56:43 UTC 2014

On 10/20/2014 01:51 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Furthermore, STARTTLS is vulnerable to active attacks: if you can get
> between the peers, you can make them fall back to unencrypted silently.
> How do you plan to guard against that?

The usual way to deal with this is to use different syntax for
TLS-enabled and non-TLS addresses (e.g., https:// and http://).  With a
TLS address, the client must enforce that only TLS-enabled connections
are possible.  STARTTLS isn't the problem here, it's just an accident of
history that many STARTTLS client implementations do not require a TLS
handshake before proceeding.

I cannot comment on whether the proposed STARTTLS command is at the
correct stage of the NBD protocol.  If there is a protocol description
for NBD, I can have a look.