[libvirt] Building libvirt under Windows

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 16 10:25:22 UTC 2015

>  Hello!
>
>  I am currently building libvirt under Windows64, and i would like to ask
> for correct way to do it.
>  The first thing to resolve is absence of RPC XDR library. From configure
> source i figured out that portablexdr library may help. I have downloaded
> it, but it comes with a different RPC code generator named portable-rpcgen.
> I managed to use it, but i had to patch both libvirt (in order to recognize
> this generator and handle it properly) and portable-rpcgen (in order to
> correctly work under Windows, as well as get rid of some crashes).
>  Initially i wanted to upstream portablexdr fixes and emailed the author.
> But the author replied that he is not going to fix portablexdr because it's
> now deprecated, since original XDR code comes under free license now. So, i
> have all necessary fixes in my own fork. He suggested me to come here to ask
> about these things.
>  So, guys, how do you do it ? I cannot find any rpcgen package usable under
> Windows (MinGW, not Cygwin).

Hi,

In 2010 I wrote a set of scripts to build libvirt on Windows using
MinGW. Sou can find them here:

https://github.com/photron/msys_setup

I haven't update them in the last two years, so they might not work
out-of-the-box anymore. But it might still be helpful to look at them
and see how I did things.

Regarding XDR: I used portablexdr. It worked for me, I can't remember
if I had to patch it or not.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com