[libvirt] [libvirt-php] memory overflow when using libvirt_list_networks

Kash Pande kash at VTOLTECH.COM
Sat Apr 18 14:34:57 UTC 2015

On 18/04/15 04:25 AM, Michal Novotny wrote:
> Hi Kash,
>
> there were no patches for libvirt-php for a long time. Are you sure
> this is libvirt-php related and not a bug in libvirt itself?
>
> Thanks,
> Michal

I've just started using libvirt-php this week but I've been using
libvirt for ages.

I did learn last night, the difference between my two systems that is
relevant is that the overflow system ran Gentoo while the "working"
system ran Debian. I was missing a USE flag for "virt-network" on the
Gentoo machine. It is a development environment that I am attempting to
create a supported configuration with, so these kinds of missing USE
flags and other things are just facts of life I must accept.

Unfortunately, it was kind-of difficult to get this information or even
workaround it without rebuilding libvirt on the Gentoo machine, which
means I won't be able to give a proper error message to users who
encounter this problem as well.

It's a problem in libvirt-php to overflow when requesting
libvirt_networks_list on a machine without networking support compiled
in. The PHP bindings should error out properly, not memory overflow and
put errors in httpd log with cryptic results in the interpreter :-)

I do like the PHP bindings but they appear to be lacking attention. Am I
the only one using it? ;-)

Kash Pande
Jentu Technologies, Inc
http://jentu-networks.com