[libvirt] [RFC] libvirt-admin: Mark symbols as local

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 10:15:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 09:24:59PM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> Otherwise we're leaking some 30+ symbols like
>
>    virAdmConnectClass
>    virAdmConnectNew
>    virConnectClass
>    virConnectCloseCallbackDataClass
>    virDomainClass
>
> I marked the one symbol needed by the deamon as
> LIBVIRT_ADMIN_PRIVATE_<VERSION> for now.

How are you identifying those as leaked ?

IIRC, exports are those symbols marked with 'T' in the nm
output:

[man nm]
       ·   The symbol type.  At least the following types are used;
           others are, as well, depending on the object file format.
           If lowercase, the symbol is usually local; if uppercase,
           the symbol is global (external).  There are however a few
           lowercase symbols that are shown for special global
           symbols ("u", "v" and "w").

           "T"
           "t" The symbol is in the text (code) section.
[/man]

# nm -a .libs/libvirt-admin.so | grep ' T '
0000000000001c80 T virAdmConnectClose
00000000000017d0 T virAdmConnectOpen
0000000000001d30 T virAdmConnectRef

# nm -a .libs/libvirt-admin.so | grep virAdmConnectNew
00000000000037c0 t virAdmConnectNew

So, IIUC, that lowercase 't' means the symol is local, and
exported.