[libvirt] How should libvirt apps enable virtio-pci for aarch64?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Dec 7 15:39:39 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:37:38AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 12/07/2015 07:27 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 09:46:56PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to figure out how apps should request virtio-pci for libvirt + qemu
> >> + arm/aarch64. Let me provide some background.
> >>
> >> qemu's arm/aarch64 original virtio support is via virtio-mmio, libvirt XML
> >> <address type='virtio-mmio'/>. Currently this is what libvirt sets as the
> >> address default for all arm/aarch64 virtio devices in the XML. Long term
> >> though all arm virt will likely be using virtio-pci: it's faster, enables
> >> hotplug, is more x86 like, etc.
> >>
> >> Support for virtio-pci is newer and not as widespread. qemu has had the
> >> necessary support since 2.4 at least, but the guest side isn't well
> >> distributed yet. For example, Fedora 23 and earlier don't work out of the box
> >> with virtio-pci. Internal RHELSA (RHEL Server for Aarch64) builds have it
> >> recently working AFAIK.
> >>
> >> Libvirt has some support for enabling virtio-pci with aarch64, commits added
> >> by Pavel Fedin in v1.2.19. (See e8d55172544c1fafe31a9e09346bdebca4f0d6f9). The
> >> patches add a PCIe controller automatically to the XML (and qemu commandline)
> >> if qemu-system-aarch64 supports it. However virtio-mmio is still used as the
> >> default virtio address, given the current lack of OS support.
> >>
> >> So we are at the point where libvirt apps want to enable this, but presently
> >> there isn't a good solution; the only option is to fully allocate <address
> >> type='pci' ...> for each virtio device in the XML. This is suboptimal for 2
> >> reasons:
> >>
> >> #1) apps need to duplicate libvirt's non-trivial address type=pci allocation logic
> >>
> >> #2) apps have to add an <address> block for every virtio device, which is less
> >> friendly than the x86 case where this is rarely required. Any XML device
> >> snippets that work for x86 likely won't give the desired result for aarch64,
> >> since they will default to virtio-mmio. Think virsh attach-device/attach-disk
> >> commands
> >
> > Yeah this is very undesirable for a default out of the box config - we should
> > always strive to "do the best thing" when no address is given.
> >
> >> Here are some possible solutions:
> >>
> >> * Drop the current behavior of adding a PCIe controller unconditionally, and
> >> instead require apps to specify it in the XML. Then, if libvirt sees a PCIe
> >> controller in the XML, default the virtio address type to pci. Apps will know
> >> if the OS they are installing supports virtio-pci (eventually via libosinfo),
> >> so this is the way we can implicitly ask libvirt 'allocate us pci addresses'
> >
> > Yes, clearly we need to record in libosinfo whether an OS can do PCI vs
> > MMIO.
> >
> >> Upsides:
> >> - Solves both the stated problems.
> >> - Simplest addition for applications IMO
> >>
> >> Downsides:
> >> - Requires a libvirt behavior change, no longer adding the PCIe controller by
> [...]

Its always possible, but I'd rather hope nothing actually is. The only thing
that should care about specific addresses is QEMU itself - the specific choice
of bus/slot/func shouldn't be relevant to any logic inside libvirt except the
command line generator - at most code should care whether it is PCI or not.