[libvirt] ARM KVM GICv3 Support

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Sun Dec 20 15:49:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 04:42:13PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 15 December 2015 at 16:35, Andrew Jones <drjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > This is probably good for guests that happy with both. Guests that
> > need/want a specific choice will put their integer there, and then
> > we need a way to do a capabilities check before launching that guest
> > on an arbitrary host.
>
> OK, so how do we typically do that? I notice I have a 'kvm-ok'
> script on my machine which helpfully reports things like whether
> KVM is enabled, and it seems like it might be helpful to extend
> that to know a bit more about ARM hosts. But I'm guessing libvirt
> doesn't use that for its capability checking ?

libvirt ships a tool called `virt-host-validate` that performs a bunch
of checks along with whether KVM is enabled or not in the BIOS:

$ sudo virt-host-validate
  QEMU: Checking for hardware virtualization                                 : PASS
  QEMU: Checking for device /dev/kvm                                         : PASS
  QEMU: Checking for device /dev/vhost-net                                   : PASS
  QEMU: Checking for device /dev/net/tun                                     : PASS
   LXC: Checking for Linux >= 2.6.26                                         : PASS

The only ARM machine I have access to is an AArch64 one, running on it
results in:

  $ sudo virt-host-validate
    QEMU: Checking for hardware virtualization                                 : WARN (Only emulated CPUs are available, performance will be significantly limited)
    QEMU: Checking for device /dev/vhost-net                                   : WARN (Load the 'vhost_net' module to improve performance of virtio networking)
    QEMU: Checking for device /dev/net/tun                                     : PASS
     LXC: Checking for Linux >= 2.6.26                                         : PASS

  $ uname -r; rpm -q libvirt-client
  4.1.0-0.rc4.git1.1.fc23.aarch64
  libvirt-client-1.2.14-2.fc23.aarch64

--