[libvirt] Bug: vnc + websocket = websocket autoport not working right at live migration

Piotr Rybicki piotr.rybicki at innervision.pl
Tue Jun 23 12:13:21 UTC 2015

Hello.

Problem description:

When i start qemu via libvirt with vnc websocket defined, it is not
possible to live migrate to host where other qemu process is running
with the same display id.

migration error is:

error: internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:
             [1] => 2015-06-23T11:54:25.590506Z qemu-system-x86_64: -vnc 0.0.0.0:1,websocket=5700,password: Failed to start VNC server on `(null)': Failed to bind socket: Address already in use

(please note vnc display id=1 and websocket=5700 - where it should be 5701)

in libvirt's xml i have:
(...)
     <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1'
listen='0.0.0.0' passwd='xxx'>
       <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
     </graphics>
(...)

for first and only qemu process on host, this creates qemu commandline:
(...) -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700,password (...)

for second qemu process on the same host:
(...)  -vnc 0.0.0.0:1,websocket=5701,password (...)

There is no problem with migration, when there is no websocket
configuration.

Solution:

I believe, to solve this problem, libvirt has to omit websocket port
definition in commandline string ('websocket=5700' => 'websocket') when
autoport is defined in domain xml definition.

from man qemu:
      -vnc display[,option[,option[,...]]]
(...)
           websocket
                Opens an additional TCP listening port dedicated to VNC
Websocket connections.  By definition the Websocket port is
                5700+display. If host is specified connections will only
be allowed from this host.  As an alternative the Websocket port
                could be specified by using "websocket"=port.  TLS
encryption for the Websocket connection is supported if the required
                certificates are specified with the VNC option x509.

So if I understand it right, not specifying websocket port means
5700+display id, and display id is given via commandline and increments
just fine.

Can anyone confirm this? Or perhaps there is some misconfiguration in my
xml domain definition?

Best regards
Piotr Rybicki