[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/7] Live Migration with Pass-through Devices proposal

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dgilbert at redhat.com
Tue May 19 16:27:20 UTC 2015

* Michael S. Tsirkin (mst at redhat.com) wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 04:45:03PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what the implication is.  No new functionality should be
> > > implemented unless we also add it to vmware?  People that don't want kvm
> > > specific functionality, won't use it.
> >
> > I'm saying that standardization of virtualization policy in libvirt is the
> > wrong solution, because different applications will have different viewpoints
> > as to what "standardization" is useful / appropriate. Creating a standardized
> > policy in libvirt for KVM, does not help OpenStack may help people who only
> > care about KVM, but that is not the entire ecosystem. OpenStack has a
> > standardized solution for guest configuration imformation that works across
> > all the hypervisors it targets.  This is just yet another example of exactly
> > why libvirt aims to design its APIs such that it exposes direct mechanisms
> > and leaves usage policy decisions upto the management applications. Libvirt
> > is not best placed to decide which policy all these mgmt apps must use for
> > this task.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel
>

> I don't think we are pushing policy in libvirt here.
>
> What we want is a mechanism that let users specify in the XML:
> interface X is fallback for pass-through device Y
> Then when requesting migration, specify that it should use
> device Z on destination as replacement for Y.
>
> We are asking libvirt to automatically
> 1.- when migration is requested, request unplug of Y
> 2.- wait until Y is deleted
> 3.- start migration
> 4.- wait until migration is completed
> 5.- plug device Z on destination
>
> I don't see any policy above: libvirt is in control of migration and
> seems best placed to implement this.

The step that list is missing is:
  0. Tell guest that *this virtio NIC (X) and *this real NIC (Y) are a bond pair
  6. Tell guest that *this real NIC (Z) are a bond pair

  0 has to happen both at startup and at hotplug of a new-pair;  I'm not clear
if 6 is actually needed depending on whether it can be done based on what was in 0.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert at redhat.com / Manchester, UK