[libvirt] Libvirt management daemon issue

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 13:54:57 UTC 2015

[re-adding the list with permission - conversations like this should be
held in public, because others may benefit from the archives]

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

On 11/04/2015 09:42 PM, Bilal Arif wrote:
> One thing I found about binaries when i apply my patch on Qemu the results
> was:
>
> robo at robo:~/Downloads/qemu-2.4.0.1$ patch -p1 <
> /home/robo/Downloads/kvm-qemu-2.4.0.1-libvmi.patch
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file hmp.c
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file hmp-commands.hx
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file hmp.h
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file Makefile.target
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file memory-access.c
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file memory-access.h
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file qapi-schema.json
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
> patching file qmp-commands.hx

Patching qemu is unrelated to building libvirt, and the fact that patch
merely warned you about stripping CRs shouldn't affect the qemu you
build, nor cause problem you were seeing with libvirt.

You know, it would be nice if the libvmi folks could upstream their
patch instead of making users have to apply a downstream patch and
self-build.  There have been some conversations on the qemu list lately
about what it would take.  But it is unrelated to the topic at hand.

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Bilal Arif <billal.ariif at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Eric Blacke, Well Your answer is may be deficult to understand for
>> newbies like me. so I listing my actions performed of fresh ubuntu box
>> please consider and make me understand how self-built binaries get
>> installed and where they exist and how I could check their configure for
>> Ubuntu 14.04.
>> Actions:
>> Dependencies are installed with apt-get for Introspection
>> Qemu-KVM from source and put a patch on that after i just download libvirt
>> from and compile.

You still didn't show what arguments to pass to ./configure. The problem
you are hitting is because your configure arguments differ from those of
the pre-built distro libvirt, and when both are installed, attempts to
locate subsidiary files (whether .so or other subsidiary files) are
finding the files from the other installation.

But I don't use Ubuntu enough to know what to recommend.  Which is why
posting this on the list, where other users might be able to chime in,
is always a better idea than posting to just me.