[libvirt] Abstracting device address allocation

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 12:42:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:15:22AM +0530, priyanshu jain wrote:
>Hello,

Hi.

>I am undergraduate computer science student in india .I am new to
>opensource and i want to contribute to project abstracting device address
>allocation . I have good knowledge of c . please suggest me how i
>contribute to this.

Are you trying to contribute as a part of some program?

Anyway, you should start by making sure libvirt, cloned from the repo,
builds for you and that you are familiar with basic concepts in
libvirt.  Even though some of it might be a bit older, we have a lot
of documentation on various parts of libvirt.

There are Contributor guidelines [1] that introduce some basic coding
style, how patches are being submitted, etc.  That's part of the
documentation on libvirt's internals [2] that you might find
interesting and useful.  But what you will need for this project is
looking at the domain format documentation [3], especially how
addresses are used.  Then, of course, become familiar how those are
treated in the code and what we do with some addresses but don't do
with some other ones.

Martin

[1] https://libvirt.org/hacking.html
[2] https://libvirt.org/internals.html