[libvirt] cpu affinity, isolcpus and cgroups

Henning Schild henning.schild at siemens.com
Wed Oct 14 12:42:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 17:27:21 +0100
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 04:42:47PM +0200, Henning Schild wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:18:46 +0100

> > > Ignore realtime + isolcpus for a minute. It is not unreasonable
> > > for the system admin to decide system services should be
> > > restricted to run on a certain subset of CPUs. If we let VMs
> > > inherit the CPU pinning on libvirtd, we'd be accidentally
> > > confining VMs to a subset of CPUs too. With new cgroups layout,
> > > libvirtd lives in a separate cgroups tree /system.slice, while
> > > VMs live in /machine.slice. So for both these reasons, when
> > > starting VMs, we explicitly ignore any affinity libvirtd has and
> > > set VMs mask to allow any CPU.

Since i started making heavy use of realtime priorities on 100% busy
threads i started running into starvation problems.
I just found a stuck qemu that still had the affinity of all 'f' and no
high prio yet. But it got unlucky and ended up in the scheduling q on
one of my busy cores ... that qemu never came to life.

I do not remember the details of the last time we discussed the topic,
the take-away was that libvirt itself does not do policy. The policy
(affinity and prio) comes from nova, but there should be no time where
the qemu is already running with the policy not yet applied. That can
cause starvation and disturbance of realtime workloads.
To me it seems there is such a time-window. If there is i need a way to
limit such new-born hypervisors to a cpuset, actually they should just
inherit it from libvirtd ... isolcpus.

> > Sure, that was my first guess as well. Still i wanted to raise the
> > topic again from the realtime POV.
> > I am using a pretty recent libvirt from git but did not come across
> > the system.slice yet. Might be a matter of configuration/invocation
> > of libvirtd.
>
> Oh, I should mention that I'm referring to OS that use systemd
> for their init system here, not legacy sysvinit
>
> FWIW our cgroups layout is described here
>
>   http://libvirt.org/cgroups.html

The system.slice does not have a libvirtd.service in my case but my
libvirtd is running in a screen and not started using systemd. Might
that be causing the problem?