[libvirt] Drop support for old libvirt versions?

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Fri Aug 12 19:44:57 UTC 2016

On 08/12/2016 10:25 AM, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> A while ago, we agreed to drop support for QEMU versions older
> than 0.12.0, with the rationale that we should focus on
> operating systems that are still supported by the respective
> vendors, eg. RHEL/CentOS 6, Ubuntu 12.04 and SLES 11.
>
> Recently, when discussing how to ensure a certain change will
> not break migration with libvirt <= 0.9.4, I started wondering
> whether we should apply the same rationale to libvirt versions
> as well.
>
> Here's a quick run down of relevant libvirt versions:
>
>   SLES 11        → ???

Heh, the original SLES 11 had 0.4.6.

>   RHEL 6.0       → 0.8.1
>   Ubuntu 12.04   → 0.9.2
>
>   RHEL 6.8       → 0.10.2
>   Ubuntu 12.04.5 → 0.9.8
>   SLES 11 SP4    → 1.2.5
>
> One thing I'm not clear about is whether or not SUSE, Red
> Hat and Canonical will support old minor releases or just
> the latest one.

For SLES 11, active maintenance is only on the latest one (1.2.5). SUSE provides
long-term support for libvirt 1.0.5 in SLES 11 SP3, but bug reports are rare
these days. SUSE also provides long-term support for SLES 10 SP4 (libvirt
0.3.3), but I haven't seen a bug report in years on that one! I'd be shocked if
anyone was using SLES10 SP4 as a virtualization host :-).

Regards,
Jim