[libvirt] Libvirt domain event usage and consistency

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 07:38:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06.12.2016 14:12, Roman Mohr wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 25.11.2016 14:38, Roman Mohr wrote:
>>>

>> [...]
>>> have
>>> or
>>> version

>>> Then,
>>> then
>>>
>>> I recall some people asking for this. Basically, they were worried about
>>> somebody from outside could manipulate their XMLs without them knowing.
>>> Frankly I don't recall what was our answer to that.
>>

>> Having a version number in live XML makes sense. However, it makes less
>>> sense for config XML - there would be no way how to start with version
>>> #0 once I've edited the file.
>>>

>> I think it would be very beneficial to have it on the config file too.
>> Think about the resource version as opaque data which can be used by
>> libvirt to see if the domain xml update contains the same resource number
>> which libvirt sees.
>
> If we do this then it's just a matter of time that users start demanding
> "How do I return to revision #1337?". And we don't want to go there.

Well - We could argue that currently it is just not possible to
connect libvirtd events and a specific dom revision. This implies that
users also could not do it themselves.
With the change however, libvirtd will not provide the full history,
but if it's needed then now users are able to add such functionality
alongside of libvirtd. It would ismpliy enable this usecase.

>> So if you want to be sure that you are updating the domain xml from the
>> latest state, you pass in the resource version of your cached domain xml
>> view. If the version is still the same inside of libvirt, libvirt updates
>> the domain xml and increases the resource version. If it has changed in the
>> meantime, it rejects the update and the client can re-fetch the latest
>> state and try again.
>
> Makes sense.
>
>> For classic update mode, just don't pass in the
>> resource version as a client and libvirt can then just update the domain
>> xml like always. This is pretty much the same principle like described in
>> [1].
>
> What if users start mixing XMLs with and without revision IDs?
> Also, I'm a bit worried about revision ID wrap, but hopefully ULL is big
> enough.

I guess that mixing with and without IDs in subsequent updates should
not be an issue.
In the case with the ID it's a sanity check to ensure that the right
state is getting updated. Without the ID this check is omitted.

- fabian

--
Fabian Deutsch <fdeutsch at redhat.com>
Associate Manager, RHV Hypervisor