[libvirt] dpdk/vpp and cross-version migration for vhost

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 16:48:51 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 05:45:13PM +0100, Maxime Coquelin wrote:

> On 12/09/2016 03:42 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 02:35:58PM +0100, Maxime Coquelin wrote:
> > > ++Daniel for libvirt

> > > I initially thought having key/value pairs would be more flexible, and
> > > could allow migrating to another application if compatible (i.e. from
> > > OVS to VPP, and vice versa...) without needing synchronization between
> > > the applications.
> > >
> > > But Daniel pointed me out that it would add a lot of complexity on
> > > management tool side, as it would need to know how to interpret these
> > > key/value pairs. I think his argument is very valid.
> > >
> > > So maybe the best way would be the version string, letting the
> > > application (OVS-DPDK/VPP/...) specify which version it is
> > > compatible with.
> > > For the downsides, as soon as a new feature is supported in vhost-user
> > > application, the new version will not be advertised as compatible with
> > > the previous one, even if the user disables the feature in Qemu (as
> > > pointed out by Yuanhan).
> >
> > We need two distinct capabilities in order to make this work properly.
> >
> > First, libvirt needs to be able to query the list of (one or more)
> > supported versions strings for a given host.
>
> Shouldn't be the role of OpenStack/Neutron? IIUC, libvirt knows nothing
> about OVS.

If libvirt doesn't know about it, then libvirt can't do any migration
checks upfront. Nova will have todo a check against supported version
strings before triggering migrate in libvirt.  That's probably fine
from libvirt POV.

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|