[libvirt] <interface type='hostdev'>vf configuration cleanup when VM is delete

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Jan 6 19:26:12 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2015 01:17 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 12/16/2015 12:35 PM, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
>>
>>> (BTW, Cisco's enic driver, on the other hand, doesn't support
>>> setting VF MAC addresses via
>>> a netlink message to the PF *at all* (so libvirt has to make special
>>> accommodations), but
>> Looking at upstream, it looks like it offers support for setting VF
>> mac via VFINFO data in
>> the netlink message.  May be it got fixed?
>>

> Interesting. If I had one of those systems of my own to test on, I'd
> give it a try. The only one I have access to is running a 2.6.32 RHEL6
> kernel though :-/

It also occurred to me during my copious "time to think" over the
holidays that device assignment using <interface type='hostdev'>
wouldn't work for enic cards if that wasn't supported, and I recently
saw a bug filed where someone was doing exactly that on a 3.10 kernel
(RHEL7.x), so yeah it must have been fixed between 2.6 and 3.10).

To pick up this discussion again: Moshe - am I correct to assume that
you've filed a bug somewhere about the mlx driver not accepting
00:00:00:00:00:00?

In the meantime, if setting the MAC address to, e.g., 00:00:00:00:00:01
works for you (as implied when you said you use "ip link set dev p4p2 vf
0 mac 0") then you could temporarily work around the problem by setting
all the VFs to something like that at boot time - libvirt would then
succeed at setting them *back* to those addresses when it was finished
with each device.