[libvirt] Libvirt 1.3.0 compilation failure on OSX 10.9.5

Justin Clift justin at postgresql.org
Thu Jan 7 19:14:08 UTC 2016

On 6 Jan 2016, at 18:03, Roman Bogorodskiy <bogorodskiy at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Roman Bogorodskiy wrote:
>>  Justin Clift wrote:
>>> Hiyas,
>>>
>>> Just went to update the MacOS X Homebrew port/formula for
>>> Libvirt 1.3.0.  It's failing during compilation with:
>>>
>>> ***********************************************************************************
>>>
>>>  Last 15 lines from /Users/jc/Library/Logs/Homebrew/libvirt/02.make:
>>>    CCLD     libvirt_driver_vbox.la
>>>    CCLD     libvirt_driver_storage.la
>>>  Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>>>    "_xdr_uint64_t", referenced from:
>>>        _xdr_virLogManagerProtocolLogFilePosition in virtlogd-log_protocol.o
>>>        _xdr_virLogManagerProtocolDomainOpenLogFileRet in virtlogd-log_protocol.o
>>>        _xdr_virLogManagerProtocolDomainGetLogFilePositionRet in virtlogd-log_protocol.o
>>>        _xdr_virLogManagerProtocolDomainReadLogFileArgs in virtlogd-log_protocol.o
>>>  ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>>>  clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
>>>  make[3]: *** [virtlogd] Error 1
>>>  make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>>  make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>>>  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>  make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>
>>> ***********************************************************************************
>>>
>>> Is this a known thing, or should I grab the rest of the failure logging for
>>> someone (not me) to look at? :)
>>>
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> Could you check if this patche solves the problem for you:
>>
>> http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/sysutils/libvirt/patches/patch-src_admin_admin_protocol_c?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>> ?
>
> Urgh, that's the wrong one. The right one is here:
>
> http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/sysutils/libvirt/patches/patch-src_logging_log_protocol_c?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> But as they're identical, I'd assume you'll need the first one as well.

Interestingly, with just this one added in, libvirt now compiles fully and
installs fine.  Didn't need to touch admin_protocol.c at all.  Maybe that's
only conditionally compiled or something?

virsh seems to start up ok, but I didn't actually try doing anything with
it. ;)

Should we call this "good enough for now", or is there more to do? :)

+ Justin