[libvirt] Channel paths

Sascha Silbe silbe at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 7 18:44:17 UTC 2016

Dear Daniel,

[CC += libvir-list, didn't notice before this thread is on qemu-devel
 only]

"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 09:27:45PM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>> Since 71408079 [qemu: Don't bother user with libvirt-internal paths],
>> the path chosen by libvirt isn't included in the domain XML anymore. So
>> now I need to choose the path inside the application. The only safe way
>> to do that is by using something in an application-managed namespace
>> (e.g. /var/lib/myapp/foo or /tmp/myapp/foo); I certainly wouldn't want
>> to second guess what paths would be safe inside the libvirt namespace
>> (/var/lib/libvirt/qemu). Except now I hear that anything outside
>> /var/lib/libvirt/qemu is not guaranteed to work due to e.g. the SELinux
>> policy configured by libvirt...
>
> IIUC that change 71408079 ought to only apply to the persistent XML
> configuration on disk. When the guest is running the live XML ought
> to still report the path libvirt chose, so you should still be able
> to see it while running. If that isn't the case then please raise a
> bug, because we certainly expect apps to be able to discover the
> path libvirt picked for exactly the reason you describe

OK, this makes a lot more sense now (persistent vs. live). Just tried it
with current libvirt master and it works, thanks.

It even worked with 71408079 itself. I'm pretty sure things were broken
some time in between, but a few quick probes didn't turn up a faulty
version and I'm not curious enough to do a linear search. Cannot
completely rule out other effects having played a role, either.

Sascha
--
Softwareentwicklung Sascha Silbe, Niederhofenstraße 5/1, 71229 Leonberg
https://se-silbe.de/