[libvirt] Switch to a time based version number rule

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 08:17:10 UTC 2016

  Hi,

> I venture to suggest that the reasons for switching from feature to
> time based release schedules, also apply to version numbers. IOW we
> should switch to a time based version number change rule, instead of
> a feature based version number change rule.

Makes sense.

>  - major: bumped for the first release of each year
>  - minor: bumped for every major release
>  - micro: bumped for stable branch releases

> IOW, over the next 2 years we'll do the following releases off master:
>
>  - Jul  1, 2016 - 2.0.0

Why stick to arbitrary numbers?  I'd move to 2016 or 16 for major for
this year, and it make sense to use the release month as minor then for
consistency, i.e. something like "2016.07" or "16.7.0" for the July 2016
release.

I also like the systemd style which completely drops the pointless
major/minor thing (except for stable releases) and simply counts up the
release number.

cheers,
  Gerd