[libvirt] [Bug] make check fails when LIBVIRT_DEBUG is defined

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Sat Jun 25 22:32:21 UTC 2016

[moderator note: the mail server balked at 1.3 megabytes of attachments,
so I've stripped them in my reply]

On 12/31/1969 05:00 PM,  wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I set up a clean libvirt repo with:
> git clone
> ./autogen.sh
> make -j5
>
> and then executed tests with various values of LIBVIRT_DEBUG using
> the following command:
> LIBVIRT_DEBUG=0…5 VIR_TEST_DEBUG=1 make check
>
> The logs are in this mail's attachments.
>

> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=0 (or =5 or probably any invalid value), the logs say:
> "Ignoring invalid log level setting”
> but still, 10 tests fail due to various reasons.
>
> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1, there is a slight difference. The number of tests
> that fail is also 10, but here, commandtest fails instead of eventtest.
>
> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=2, only 9 tests fail, because commandtest passes.
>
> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=3, only 1 test fails: qemuargv2xmltest. The
> reason is the same as in the previous tests.
>
> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=4, it’s just qemuargv2xmltest that is failing,
> but for a different reason than before:
> "qemuParseCommandLineString should have logged a warning”.
>

> Perhaps it’s okay that these tests fail, but still there's no harm
> in letting people know.
>
> Thank you rbogorodskiy for guidance on the mailing list :)
>
> Have a nice day,
> Tomasz

I don't know that anyone ever expected the testsuite to work with
LIBVIRT_DEBUG set to anything (because turning on debug can change
output of libvirt itself).  Things are different with VIR_TEST_DEBUG,
which explicitly exists to change the verbosity of the testsuite itself,
but not affect libvirt.  If the testsuite passes without LIBVIRT_DEBUG
set, then that's the solution :)  But if you still get failures with
LIBVIRT_DEBUG removed from the environment on your particular platform,
then it is worth investigating how we can fix those failures (it may be
a weakness in the testsuite, or an actual libvirt bug).