[libvirt] Enhancement: Random Clock Offset

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 10:09:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 07:51:48PM +0000, bancfc at openmailbox.org wrote:
>For better system anonymity (to decouple VM OS timestamps leaked in
>traffic from host ones) a feature can be added to the clock offset
>variable to select randomly from a specified range of seconds from
>instead of a fixed  number of seconds. That way a guest's clock can vary
>unpredictably from the host's and confuse  correlation by network
>adversaries.
>
>Full Disclosure: I am from the  Tor centric Whonix Project - whonix.org
>and this would be a very useful feature for us.

Interesting idea.  Should this be automated, I would expect this to be
done above libvirt, using libvirt's APIs.  Particularly virDomainSetTime
[1] could be of use.  There's a virsh command for that as well, called
domtime that can be called from a script.

HTH,
Martin

[1] https://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt-domain.html#virDomainSetTime